A great place to learn about everything paranormal, metaphysical, psychic, spiritual, pagan, esoteric, occult and more!

HomeGalleryFAQRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Metaphysical Chat
Metaphysical Chat
Who’s Chatting Now
Navitation
Code of Ethics
Community Courses
Spiritual Retreats
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» How many types of Reiki are out there?
Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:42 am by NA-EL-EE-EL

» Dopplegangers
Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:37 am by TheCleric

» Sylvia Browne's Life Themes
Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:39 pm by TheCleric

» Hola from a Newbie!
Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:30 pm by TheCleric

» How old is your soul?
Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:44 am by TheBear

» the grudge?
Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:20 am by TheBear

» My Dream
Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:00 am by TheBear

» My dream
Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:55 am by TheBear

» Friends dreams....
Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:38 am by TheBear

Shout Box

ShoutMix chat widget
World Time

Share | 

Empathy... coping with.

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Amergin
Contributor
Contributor

Male Pisces Buffalo
Number of posts : 192
Birthday : 1973-02-20

PostSubject: Empathy... coping with.   Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:43 am

I've known that I've been Empathic for a long time. It's just taken me so long to admit it to myself. I was afraid of it to be honest with you.

A while back, I was out shopping with my Partner. We went to the shopping centre. Before we entered the building, I was fine. When we got into the building, all hell broke loose with my feelings. I could feel sadness, joy, fear, pain, happiness and much more.

This amongst other feelings. I was so overwhelmed by all of the thoughts in my mind that I panicked, and said to my Partner that I have to leave the building immidiately. We were heading towards a near exit, and I could feel myself passing out.

I have since managed to control the Empathy, and am being very careful with it. Am I right to hold back, or should I let this Empathic side of me try to surface more?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.paranormalhaunt.co.uk
Luinbariel
Teacher
Teacher

Female Number of posts : 191

PostSubject: Re: Empathy... coping with.   Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:26 am

I would try and find ways to sort of work with it on a smaller scale before you got into a situation like that again and tried to work with it; learn your boundaries perhaps before you open up in places like that again.

That happens to me on occasion as well, though now it seems to be filtered through my barrier or what have you.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Valkyrie
Admin
Admin

Female Leo Rat
Number of posts : 534
Birthday : 1984-08-06

PostSubject: Re: Empathy... coping with.   Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:31 am

Aw Jordan, you need to get yourself some stronger shields!

Basically, the way I do it, is a put a shield around each of my chakras, and then a four layer shield around my aura.

The simplest way to make a shield is to first ground yourself, cleanse yourself of all emotions that are not yours and negativity. Then you imagine little protective bubbles, strong plastic bubbles surrounding each of your chakras and then your entire body.

The shields at first will only last 24-48 hours, and then you'll have to do the meditation again to replenish them.

Eventually you will be shielded all the time, and well you may not feel empathic anymore at some points, unless YOU want to know how someone else feels.

Last edited by SoulWhisperer on Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://liveperson.com/Psychic-Rhiannon
Kaimelar
Reader
Reader

Female Aquarius Buffalo
Number of posts : 254
Birthday : 1986-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Empathy... coping with.   Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:34 pm

Jord, I know what you are going through. I've gone through it a lot myself. I've been trying to work on shielding but I haven't had much luck, but I'm definitely going to try Rhi's idea. I hope that it helps more than what the shielding I've been doing has helped.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.ashleydesignsllc.com
pinkster

Number of posts : 40

PostSubject: Re: Empathy... coping with.   Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:13 pm

i think i am defo one of these..but maybe an experienced empath could give me som advice on how i know?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Valkyrie
Admin
Admin

Female Leo Rat

PostSubject: Re: Empathy... coping with.   Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:49 pm

How to tell if you're empathic.

1) Certain places make you feel different almost instantly. This could be like, entering a crowded mall, or a concert grounds, as soon as you are around other people you begin to feel the way the crowd feels, whether that means you get super excited, or super agitated or scared, depends on the crowd. But the transition / mood is almost instant, as soon as you're around these people you feel it very strongly.

2) You know when your friends / family are sad because you are sad too. Sometimes it's hard to pin point but you'll be feeling sad and then a friend or family member tells you they're feeling the same way. Gage this by who had the feeling first, if they had the feeling first, then you picked up on it, if it was the opposite then they picked up on you.

3) You tend to be more sensitive than most and sometimes it doesn't matter what people say it's the energy and emotion they send with it. You tend to hear people's words, but you feel worse or better depending on the emotions they send along with their words. As in, a friend is reaming you out gently, but you feel like you want to crawl into the ground and die . . . . the words themselves might not be intense, but the emotions are and you feel it.

That's all for now, those are 3 definite ways I know you can know if you're empathic though I'm sure there are more out there.

Back to top Go down
Loh

Number of posts : 12

PostSubject: Re: Empathy... coping with.   Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:14 pm

My hyperactive empathy is certainly a difficult thing to deal with occasionally, particularly when in big crowds of people. But over time, I've been able to develop a coping/filtering system by creating "shields" that I wasn't entirely conscious of when I first started putting them up. Currently, I like to think of these filters as "shields with tiny holes", so that I can still feel the energy and emotional atmosphere, but not be absolutely overwhelmed by the wall of emotion- which, interestingly enough, is largely made up of anxiety.

Animals, however, I actively do not filter, as their mental states are always clear, precise, and, as some might say, pure. Animals don't experiences mixed emotions, or deceptive personas, and so I generally enjoy their emotional honesty. Also, with the way my crazy empathy is, I tend to physically feel the bodies of the animals I am near, which is actually quite a wonderful experience for me, now that I am far more use to it than I once was.

I think I rambled there for a bit. Ah well. XD

One of the most difficult aspects about being an Empath, I believe, is the conscious knowledge of when I am being lied to. This is certainly a mixed gift, since it can be beneficial to know when someone is dishonest, yet at the same time, there is always a terrible sense of disappointment for me that someone felt the need to that lie at all, whether or not it was personal.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Amergin
Contributor
Contributor

Male Pisces Buffalo

PostSubject: Re: Empathy... coping with.   Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:13 pm

Your posting was spot-on, Soulwhisperer. What you typed up there is exactly what happens. Sometimes, shopping can be a real pain in the (expletive deleted). But, I'm now learning to control it.

Not been easy, but have used a combination of relaxation, and meditation.
Back to top Go down
mariaisabel
Supporter
Supporter

Female Pisces Snake
Number of posts : 61
Birthday : 1989-02-22

PostSubject: Re: Empathy... coping with.   Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:34 pm

I wish i knew a way to control it..
I feel like that and I also feel everything everyone is saying..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kaimelar
Reader
Reader

Female Aquarius Buffalo

PostSubject: Re: Empathy... coping with.   Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:03 pm

Maria, controlling it is difficult. I've known I'm an empath actively for 4 years now (OMG I can't believe it's been that long already!) It took me at least 2 years to learn to control it and even then, I can only control it for about an hour or so. It's very draining and afterwards I get a gigantic headache and very very tired. I hate to say this, but sometimes it's better to just let it flow. If you really want to learn a way to control it I'll gladly help you, but it's not easy and will take a lot of time, effort and practice to learn. If you decide you want help, feel free to leave me a message under Temperant Tarot in the staff specialties in the forum and I'll get back to you when I see it there Smile
Back to top Go down
mariaisabel
Supporter
Supporter

Female Pisces Snake

PostSubject: Re: Empathy... coping with.   Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:08 pm

I will keep that in mind.
Everytime I feel negative or sense something bad. I get really sick wanting to vomit and feel very dizzy. My body starts feeling very ill and I feel horrible.
But when i feel positive I just feel very ticklish like my body is getting tickled to death
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kaimelar
Reader
Reader

Female Aquarius Buffalo

PostSubject: Re: Empathy... coping with.   Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:15 pm

That's definitely empathic abilities. Negative energies make me feel horrible like that. And when it's happy and positive, it's extremely difficult to not feel giddy and up beat and want to jump up and down!
Back to top Go down
Amergin
Contributor
Contributor

Male Pisces Buffalo

PostSubject: Re: Empathy... coping with.   Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:19 pm

Thank you all for your replies on this topic. I have certainly been given a lot to think about now.

Am going to try and raise my shields better too.
Back to top Go down
mariaisabel
Supporter
Supporter

Female Pisces Snake

PostSubject: Re: Empathy... coping with.   Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:21 am

I Must ASK THIS QUESTION. It has been bothering me for a very long time.

If you're thinking of a certain someone, and you see them online or you have a very huge connection with them. Is it possible when they are talking about you. You start to sneeze constantly? Sometimes you sneeze so much from them even thinking about you all day? I dunno I always wanted to know. Sometimes when I sense someone is talking about me. I sneeze alot until the person comes up to me or talks to me. It's weird but ... it's just confusing and i wanna know.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ancient Egyptian Royalty

Female Libra Pig
Number of posts : 19
Birthday : 1983-10-02

PostSubject: Re: Empathy... coping with.   Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:29 pm

Have you ever gotten energy off of someone you don't know?

Has it ever been both good and bad energy?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Valkyrie
Admin
Admin

Female Leo Rat

PostSubject: Re: Empathy... coping with.   Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:51 pm

Hey AER,

I have gotten energy off people I don't know, mostly because I try for it.

And yes it's been both bad and good.

Back to top Go down
Kaimelar
Reader
Reader

Female Aquarius Buffalo

PostSubject: Re: Empathy... coping with.   Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:11 pm

I agree with V on this one. I've had the same happen to me. I feel other peoples energies and I don't know them. Most of the time I try for it, but sometimes I don't. Yes it's been good and bad. Not always fun!
Back to top Go down
Valkyrie
Admin
Admin

Female Leo Rat

PostSubject: Re: Empathy... coping with.   Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:49 pm

Lol, it's kinda my job Kai!

Back to top Go down
Kaimelar
Reader
Reader

Female Aquarius Buffalo

PostSubject: Re: Empathy... coping with.   Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:09 am

Rofl Yeah I know V. Sometimes I do mine out of curiosity to find out what the other person is about! Especially if I get an odd vibe from them. So while you do yours for your job, I use mine to satisfy my own curiosity if it feels off to me LOL
Back to top Go down
LadyeFalcon
Teacher
Teacher

Female Leo Goat
Number of posts : 43
Birthday : 1955-08-01

PostSubject: Re: Empathy... coping with.   Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:32 pm

Empathic sounds like what we used to call 'sensitives' . It is really easy to get 'toxic' even if you shield because as 'sensitives' you are born that way and it is just like any other 'sense' it is one of the tools that we rely on to 'get through' the world, shutting it down completely would be like blindfolding yourself and wondering around in the dark. One technique I was taught is basically sympathetic magick. Take a sponge set it in a bowl.. state your purpose and 'wring' out all those thoughts feelings etc that do NOT belong to you. A lot of the time we do not realize how much we have 'picked' up on even when we faithfully utilize our shields, ground, center and meditate until we feel exhausted and overwhelmed and go into overdrive when we walk into a room... When that happens you are definitely on overload and need to 'detox' from all the emotions etc that you have absorbed from others.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://ladye-falcon.co.cc/
Valkyrie
Admin
Admin

Female Leo Rat

PostSubject: Re: Empathy... coping with.   Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:28 am

Thanks for that perspective LadyeFalcon,

It's true, and I like the technique used for getting rid of it.

For me, it's to hold down the ball of Jet and let it go.

Back to top Go down
sunburst

Female Sagittarius Monkey
Number of posts : 34
Birthday : 1992-11-24

PostSubject: Re: Empathy... coping with.   Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:09 pm

I'm empathic and telepathic, let me tell you it's a dizzy mix. I myself walk the middle line. I use my empathy and telepathy only to help other people (change their thoughts etc, or change their emotions with help from both my empathy and telepathy, and try to sense only when there is something wrong) and then try to turn it off. hint the word "try" it's so strong that it takes over and i sudden at some point know what someone is feeling or know what and when someone is thinking of or about me. your empathy however seems strong to me, it is your descioion however rather to use it or not. but let me tell you it's hard to turn it off sometimes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dariafan

Number of posts : 4

PostSubject: Re: Empathy... coping with.   Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:16 pm

Valkyrie wrote:
How to tell if you're empathic.

1) Certain places make you feel different almost instantly. This could be like, entering a crowded mall, or a concert grounds, as soon as you are around other people you begin to feel the way the crowd feels, whether that means you get super excited, or super agitated or scared, depends on the crowd. But the transition / mood is almost instant, as soon as you're around these people you feel it very strongly.

2) You know when your friends / family are sad because you are sad too. Sometimes it's hard to pin point but you'll be feeling sad and then a friend or family member tells you they're feeling the same way. Gage this by who had the feeling first, if they had the feeling first, then you picked up on it, if it was the opposite then they picked up on you.

3) You tend to be more sensitive than most and sometimes it doesn't matter what people say it's the energy and emotion they send with it. You tend to hear people's words, but you feel worse or better depending on the emotions they send along with their words. As in, a friend is reaming you out gently, but you feel like you want to crawl into the ground and die . . . . the words themselves might not be intense, but the emotions are and you feel it.

That's all for now, those are 3 definite ways I know you can know if you're empathic though I'm sure there are more out there.

Val...do you have to satisfy all 3 characteristics to know if you're an empath? Or can it only be 2 out of 3 and you can conclude that you are indeed empathic??
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Empathy... coping with.   

Back to top Go down

Empathy... coping with.
Page 1 of 1